Sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation and the strength to face another day. Sometimes, you just simply want to give up. You’re tired, drained, exhausted, frustrated, and feel like, there’s just no point.
Well, I’m here to tell you that, you’re not alone! I can personally relate to feelings like these, as a busy working mom of three boys, who works two, full time jobs. Trust me, I get it!
The first thing you need to recognize is that, feeling like this is completely normal. There is nothing wrong with you. You are not a bad mother. And there is nothing for you to feel guilty about. Life as a busy working mom, trying to stay fit, can be very overwhelming. It’s easy to feel unappreciated, unimportant, and unnoticed by others.
Let me tell you this, no matter how “picture perfect” people may look on Instagram, please know that most people are struggling, behind-the-scenes, with the same issues that you and I are dealing with every day.
I remember feeling so discouraged when I first started teaching my jump rope classes, and only a few people would show up. But I kept pushing forward. I kept going, in spite of my feelings, and how tired I was, and I’m so glad I did! Now, I have more and more people attending my jump rope classes in NYC and in Philly, and I know that, if I had given up when I was feeling discouraged, I would’ve missed out on meeting many of you!
So let’s get into some real-life solutions and tips, to help you find the strength to keep going, even when you feel like giving up.
How To Keep Going When You Feel Like Giving Up (5 Real & Empowering Tips for Moms)
1. Remember your why. When you feel like quitting and throwing in the towel, you have to go back to your foundation, and think about why you’re doing what you’re doing in the first place. I gave you the example about my jump rope classes above. But when it comes to working not one, but two, full-time jobs, I constantly have to go back to my why (especially when I’m working the overnight shift, and feel like a walking zombie). So I think about my children, and how me working so hard helps to provide for their needs and wants. I think about my husband, and how me working so hard helps to alleviate some of the financial pressure on him. When it comes to jumping rope, I know that I am inspiring so many people, all over the world (I know this because you guys tell me all the time, on social media, so thank you). So refocusing my mind and my energy on why I do what I do, motivates me to keep on going. This will work for you too. Go back to your why, and let that re-energize you to keep pushing forward.
2. Remember the times when you wanted to give up in the past, but didn’t. That feeling of discouragement, and wanting to quit doesn’t happen for the first time, at 30 years old! This is a feeling you start dealing with as a kid. But every time you push through those feelings, and don’t give up, you get stronger. You also end up having some wonderful and positive experiences, after your push past those feelings, and keep going. So when you feel like giving up, take a moment to reflect on your past. Remember all of the different times and situations when you wanted to give up, but didn’t. Then imagine all of the awesome experiences and opportunities that you could’ve missed out on, had you quit. Let that encourage you and motivate you to keep going today. It’s worth it!
3. Remember that your trials are hardest right before your breakthrough. Have you ever run a marathon? No matter how long the race is, that last mile of the race is the most challenging. For some reason, things tend to feel the most overwhelming, stressful, and most discouraging, right before something really good is about to happen. Can you relate to this? It’s the absolute truth! So if you feel like someone’s turning up the heat on you, or like everything that can go wrong, is going wrong, I have good news for you: your breakthrough is on the way! Something wonderful is about to happen to you, so keep going. Now is not the time to give up. You didn’t come this far, to only come this far. Pull up, and push through. You got this!
4. Remember that this is bigger than you. Sometimes we get so focused on how challenging our situation is, and get so stuck in our feelings, that we forget about the bigger picture. Our purpose here on this earth is bigger than us. What we do affects and impacts many people (some of whom, we don’t even know). Our children are watching our every move, and learning from us every day. What we do will impact them for the rest of their lives, and that is huge! The people around us, including our family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc., are all affected by our choices, our attitude, and our energy. Then, there’s our social media influence. We all have it, no matter if you have 500 followers, or 50,000. We are all influenced, in some way, by the people we follow and engage with on social media. So the next time you feel like giving up, think about them. Think about how your children would feel if you gave up. Think about how your family and friends might be affected, if you just decided to quit one day. Then don’t forget, you are inspiring and motivating many people through social media, and they need you to keep going, so that they can keep going too! We are all interconnected. Do your part, and keep going. We are all counting on you!
5. Remember that it’s just a feeling, and feelings change. Isn’t it kind of crazy how you can be feeling completely frustrated, upset, discouraged, and down and out one minute, then have one conversation with your spouse, significant other, or close friend, and suddenly you feel so much better? Or, something happens during your day that completely turns your mood around? Sometimes you guys send me DMs on Instagram that completely brighten my day! Plus, I don’t know about you, but I could be feeling like crap, then I get my jump rope out, get in a quick workout, then suddenly I feel like a new person! Working out can greatly impact your mood, and make you feel so much better afterwards. That’s why we have to do it, even when we don’t feel like it. It’s so important to remember that your feelings are not permanent, and they can change multiple times throughout your day. So don’t get stuck, and make permanent decisions, based on temporary feelings. Your feelings can change at any given moment.
So that’s it guys. Apply these five tips to your life, any time you feeling like giving up, and throwing in the towel. I hope that this post has helped motivate you, and give you some encouragement, if you’ve been feeling frustrated lately and wanting to give up. Remember, we all go through these feelings from time to time. But the key is just that; to go through those feelings, until you come out of it, and feel better. Don’t get stuck. Don’t quit while you’re down. Great things are on the horizon for you, if you keep going!
Pin this post on Pinterest, bookmark it, and save it somewhere so that you can have quick and easy access to it, when you’re experiencing those tough moments.
Please tell me in the comments below, how do you stay motivated to keep pushing forward, when you want to give up?
Also, which of these tips resonated with you the most? Let’s chat about it in the comments!
Of course, I would love it if you shared this post on social media, so that you can encourage another fellow, busy, working mom, who’s trying to stay fit, physically, mentally, and emotionally. We are all in this together! Let’s lift each other up!
Click hereto sign up for my “Jump To Burn” jump rope classes. Jump 2 Burn is a 1-hour workout class where you will learn the fundamentals of jumping rope. Different jump rope skills and tricks are broken down into smaller steps to make them easier to execute on their own or mixed to create combination moves. Let’s make it fun to break a sweat, burn calories, and get fit! This class is suitable for all levels! See you in class!
Ready to take your jump rope workout to the next level right now?